Westwood Shipping logo

History

Our roots go back to 1892, when Weyerhaeuser Company launched its water transportation service.

2014 Westwood begins calling the Port of Tacoma.
2011 J-WeSco purchases Westwood Shipping Lines.
2010 Westwood begins service from Portland to Japan.
2009 Westwood begins regular monthly service to China.
2007 Westwood and Star Shipping’s space-sharing and sailing agreement ends. Westwood charters three replacement vessels.
2005 Westwood and Star Shipping initiate a space-sharing and sailing agreement.
2003 Westwood begins regular service to Hitachinaka, Japan.
2003-2004 The Westwood Columbia, Westwood Victoria, and Westwood Olympia join the Westwood Rainier.
2000 Westwood places order for new state-of-the-art vessels.
1995 Westwood begins performing all sales and customer services in North America.
1992 Westwood celebrates our first decade of transpacific shipping.
1991 Westwood begins offering our own weekly eastbound container/breakbulk service when Gearbulk withdraws from transpacific container shipping.
1989 Westwood withdraws from the north Europe market to focus on the strategically important transpacific market.
1988 A joint sailing agreement is launched with Gearbulk Container Services to upgrade eastbound transpacific service to weekly frequency.
1986 Westwood receives the first of five newly built, state-of-the-art "S" ships, the Westwood Marianne, under long-term contract with Saga Forest Carriers.
1985 Transpacific service is upgraded to 10-day eastbound frequency with a Canadian Transport Company joint sailing agreement.
1983 Full-fledged transpacific container/breakbulk service is inaugurated by Westwood with two "M" ships and two "J" ships.
1982 Westwood begins a modest transpacific container operation in a joint venture with Hoegh.
1981 Westwood Shipping Lines commences service with four "M" ships as a container/breakbulk common carrier between the North American West Coast and north Europe.
1980 The Hoegh Mascot briefly strands on a Columbia River shoal caused by mud flow from the eruption of Mt. St. Helens.
1979 Two new "J" ships enter service to carry newsprint from the newly opened Weyerhaeuser/Jujo NORPAC mill at Longview.
1977 New ships enter service; Hoegh Container Lines is formed to provide combination container/breakbulk cargo service.
1975 Weyerhaeuser contracts with Hoegh to build six open-hatch, gantry-crane vessels (second generation of "M" ships) to carry forest products to Europe.
1974 Calmar Line ceases intercoastal service on which Weyerhaeuser was a major shipper.
1969 The last two Weyerhaeuser Liberty ships are sold.
1967 First set of "M" ships is chartered from Hoegh to carry forest products to Europe (Weyerhaeuser's first major charter contract for foreign shipping).
1966 Weyerhaeuser Line headquarters moves from San Francisco to Tacoma.
1964 Ships are chartered to carry finished forest products to Australia (the first Weyerhaeuser transportation of finished products to a foreign market).
1963 Weyerhaeuser begins chartering logships to Japan following the Columbus Day 1962 windstorm, which left an abundance of fallen timber in the Northwest.
1962 Weyerhaeuser Line is established after Weyerhaeuser Steamship becomes a division of Weyerhaeuser Company.
1961 Six Liberty ships are rehabilitated in the most extensive Liberty ship reconstruction to date.
1950 Pacific Coast Direct Line is purchased; Weyerhaeuser Steamship moves from Newark to San Francisco.
1947 Four World War II Liberty ships purchased for Weyerhaeuser return to intercoastal service.
1942 The Potlatch and the Heffron are sunk by torpedoes fired from German submarines.
1941 Four ships are diverted on orders of the U.S. government to rush war supplies to British forces in Egypt; later, all eight of the company's vessels are requisitioned by the War Shipping Administration.
1933 Weyerhaeuser Steamship Company establishes marine operations; headquarters moves from Tacoma to Newark, New Jersey.
1923 Weyerhaeuser's first ocean shipping operation is launched with purchase of two freighters, the Ponoma and the Hanley, to carry lumber from the Northwest to the East Coast.
1900 Weyerhaeuser Timber Company is established at Tacoma, Washington, after 900,000 acres of Northwest timberlands are purchased.
1892 The F. Weyerhaeuser, a 140-foot sternwheeler built for towing logs, is christened by Weyerhaeuser and Denkman Company (a Midwest Partnership).